Emma Watson. That Speech & The Role Model



I am a mother of three daughters. Everyday I try to instil a little bit of confidence, a little bit of gratitude and a little bit of knowledge in them. Everyday I remind them of who they are and what they are capable of. Sometimes you can't do that on your own. 


In a world of Nikki Manaj's and Iggy Azalea's, it is a constant struggle to find young women that you want your children to see and look up to. Emma Watson is that young woman, I want my children to youtube her and watch her clips over and over. She is polite, funny, well spoken and level headed. She is out spoken without being rude and ever so determined. And she obtains all the attention she desires without stripping down to her underwear or creating a sex tape.

I am a feminist ... but feminism has become an unpopular word.

Why is this? Is this because as women we don't want to be seen trying to fight? Is it because feminism comes with a distinct idea that only women with hairy armpits and daisy chains are feminists? I don't know what kind of standard we are setting for our daughters, but it certainly needs to change. Emma, I have sat with my 11 year old daughter today and watched your speech. I answered her questions as best as I could and we discussed why men and women are not treated equally. Both of us come out quite confused as to why our society thinks the way it does. "But what can I do?" was the stand out question Mikayla asked me.

What can we do?

We need to make our opinions heard and we need to stand up for what we believe in. We need to follow, not as a feminist or a hippie or a rebel, but as a woman demanding the right as a human being.

If not me, who? If not now, when?

HeForShe is the movement Emma spoke of, a solidarity movement for gender equality. And why not? Now that I have a son, I want him to grow into a man of respect, freedom of the barriers that surrounds us with gender stereotypes and a heart filled with love and compassion.

This is what we need in this world, not war and fighting.

I hope you have taken the time to view Emma's speech, it is moving and uplifting. And show your daughters and your sons. Get them involved and asking why!

Signature photo image_zps403e45da.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, I love to hear what you think!

Powered by Blogger.